PHOENIX — We have good news for those who were saddened by the closing of Tom’s Tavern in downtown Phoenix: You can take a piece of the restaurant home with you.
Numerous items from the longtime bar — including its iconic sign that used to hang over the corner of First Avenue and Washington Street — are up for auction.
Other items include barstools, booths and even the bar itself. There are also some kitchen items, for those who have been hoping to score a commercial gas range stove top and oven on the cheap.
Tom’s closed earlier this month after 87 years in business split between two locations.
The restaurant opened in what had been the old Phoenix morgue in 1929, then moved to its newest location in downtown Phoenix’s Renaissance Square in 1982. It was owned by Michael Ratner from 1982 until 2010, when he died from cancer.
“Tom’s Tavern has a rich history in Phoenix, and has enjoyed serving many of our city’s finest,” owner and chef Jim Gallen wrote in a Facebook post.
The future for the downtown Phoenix space is uncertain, the restaurant officials said in the release, but Gallen “will continue cooking in the Valley.”
Another iconic Phoenix restaurant, Macayo’s on Central Avenue, also auctioned off some of its things earlier this year as it prepped for a move across the street.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments