Congresswomen Ansari calls withheld education funds ‘illogical’ and ‘devastating’
U.S. Rep. Yassamin Ansari promised to fight against President Donald Trump's education funding pause, which she says will hurt Arizona students.
Watch: Exclusive: Sen. Mark Kelly talks potential 2028 presidential run & USS Lincoln | 24 mins
PHOENIX — U.S. Rep. Yassamin Ansari of Arizona is speaking out against the U.S. Department of Education for withholding $118 million that was supposed to go to Arizona schools on July 1.
Withholding the money will have devastating effects on Arizona students, she said in a recent exclusive interview with KTAR News 92.3 FM.
“It’s just unacceptable,” Ansari said.
The Democrat, who is part of the House Education and Workforce Committee, said she is working to get the funds released.
She spoke out a day after Arizona’s Democratic attorney general, Kris Mayes, joined a multistate lawsuit against the Trump administration over the education funding pause.
Arizona joined yet another multistate lawsuit against the Trump administration on Monday, this one over $6.8 billion in frozen education funding that supports a variety of programs. @balin_om attended an event highlighting why the funding is so crucial. pic.twitter.com/HbQSDSW0OV
— KTAR News 92.3 (@KTAR923) July 14, 2025
Arizona Democratic representative speaks out against education funding pause
“It’s such an outrageous move and a further attempt to defund our public education and steal from students who are already struggling,” Ansari said.
Ansari said the Trump decision’s to withhold the funds is illogical.
She believes it will exacerbate existing inequalities in Arizona’s education system by removing funding for after-school programs, public schools and college grants.
Not only that, but the withheld funds is adding to the pile of issues Arizona students already are facing, such as the removal of Pell Grant funding earlier this month, she added.
“The inclusion of slashing Pell Grants in the Trump budget bill is going to hurt kids who truly need a pathway to higher education,” Ansari said. “That is what is most devastating.”
Ansari said this could turn into a bigger issue if funding cuts keep happening.
“They are certainly doing everything they can to roll back the department … as close as they can to breaking the law without going over the edge,” she said.
Funding for this journalism is made possible by the Arizona Local News Foundation.






Comments
19 Comments
Take, take, take, tax, tax, tax. No winning for children, unless they’re rich. Destroying the public school system to make money off private schools has been the goal of the GOP for years. Hope everyone has the cash and transportation to get private education… oh snd that’s if they accept your kids. If they don’t like their race, religion or bank account.. sorry!!
The uneducated are easier to control.
We all understand that the Orange Pedophile is against education.
Keeping people uninformed, undereducated and semi-illiterate is part of the fascist Trumpanzee plan for the USA.