PHOENIX — The United States has done a “really good job” of securing the border between Arizona and Mexico, Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton said in an exclusive interview Thursday.
“I think we’ve done a really good job securing the border,” she said. “I think that those who say we haven’t are not paying attention to what was done the last 15 years under President (George W.) Bush and President (Barack) Obama.”
Clinton said the federal government has added both border officers and obstructions, while the number of people attempting to cross the border has dropped.
“Immigration from Mexico has dropped considerably,” she said. ”It’s just not happening anymore.”
Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, was speaking just days before a campaign event in Phoenix.
She said Arizona has some challenges to overcome. While she would like to work toward comprehensive immigration reform, she said there are more pressing issues in the state.
“I think the No. 1 issue is getting the economy growing again with more good jobs and rising incomes,” she said. “I think that goes hand in hand with good education and good health care.”
The former secretary of state also touched on gun control. Clinton said she would like to see comprehensive background checks and the closure of several loopholes that allow firearms to fall into the wrong hands.
“We’ve also got to crack down on reckless and negligent behavior by makers and sellers,” she said, adding that there is no reason the industry should not be held accountable.
Clinton will face off against political rival Bernie Sanders in the March 22 Arizona presidential preference election.
KTAR’s Lauren Grifo contributed to this report.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- Bill would require blood, alcohol testing in serious crashes
- Report: Arizona one of worst states for cigarette smuggling
- Navajo committee unanimously supports bill switching name to Dine Nation
- Defiant women to Trump: Your agenda won’t go unchallenged
- Sedona named a top place to go in 2017 by multiple outlets