PHOENIX — The United States has done a “really good job” of securing the border between Arizona and Mexico, Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton said in an exclusive interview Thursday.
“I think we’ve done a really good job securing the border,” she said. “I think that those who say we haven’t are not paying attention to what was done the last 15 years under President (George W.) Bush and President (Barack) Obama.”
Clinton said the federal government has added both border officers and obstructions, while the number of people attempting to cross the border has dropped.
“Immigration from Mexico has dropped considerably,” she said. ”It’s just not happening anymore.”
Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, was speaking just days before a campaign event in Phoenix.
She said Arizona has some challenges to overcome. While she would like to work toward comprehensive immigration reform, she said there are more pressing issues in the state.
“I think the No. 1 issue is getting the economy growing again with more good jobs and rising incomes,” she said. “I think that goes hand in hand with good education and good health care.”
The former secretary of state also touched on gun control. Clinton said she would like to see comprehensive background checks and the closure of several loopholes that allow firearms to fall into the wrong hands.
“We’ve also got to crack down on reckless and negligent behavior by makers and sellers,” she said, adding that there is no reason the industry should not be held accountable.
Clinton will face off against political rival Bernie Sanders in the March 22 Arizona presidential preference election.
KTAR’s Lauren Grifo contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Democrats want Arizona to count out-of-precinct ballots
- Legislator pleads guilty to misdemeanor in Arizona food stamp case
- Long summer: Phoenix heat has been coming earlier, staying later
- Kingman, Lake Havasu City community has one of the highest heart attack rates
- Saying goodbye to nervous and crying kids is hard, but it’s also necessary