PHOENIX — A teenager who supplied the gun used in a murder-suicide at a Glendale, Arizona, high school could get charged in the case, according to Glendale Police.
Police said 15-year-old Dorothy Dutiel, the suspect in the Independence High School shooting, got the gun from a classmate, after telling him she needed the handgun for protection.
The classmate, who has not been identified, said he gave her a family-owned gun without his parent’s permission.
The classmate could be indicted with a felony charge for gifting a firearm to a minor, police said. The charge will not be submitted until all the evidence is examined.
The murder-suicide left Dutiel and 15-year-old May Kieu dead, after their bodies were found on the school’s campus with a single gunshot wound. The gun was found nearby, along with a suicide note.
Police said the families of both victims do not want to prosecute the teenager.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- Arizona Secretary of State Michele Reagan to see 2018 primary challenge
- Swoosh of success: Nike helps Oregon on trip to Final Four
- Phoenix hotel rates shoot to second-highest ever prices for NCAA Final Four
- Banana Republic closes up shops in Scottsdale, Chandler
- Court rules Arizona doesn’t have to protect property from wildfires