PHOENIX — Arizona is now the first state in the U.S. to regulate indoor trampoline parks, thanks to a bill signed into law Thursday.
HB 2179 is informally called Ty’s Law, named after Ty Thomasson who died tragically at a Phoenix trampoline park in 2012.
“This is a very bittersweet law and it will not help my son,” Maureen Kerley, Thomasson’s mother, said.
Kerley said she hopes the law will spare other mothers and families throughout Arizona from the pain she has felt. Thomasson died from blunt force trauma to the head after diving into a foam pit at an indoor trampoline park.
“It will really help the families out there never to have to, hopefully, live this continual nightmare,” she said.
Ty’s Law requires trampoline parks to officially register with the state, conduct annual inspections at each site, secure insurance of at least $1 million for bodily injuries and keep mandatory records.
Kerley warned, however, it is not just Arizona’s responsibility to keep indoor trampoline park patrons safe while they jump.
“Think before you bounce,” she said.
KTAR’s Mark Remillard contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas