PHOENIX — Valley police have arrested more than a dozen people in a drug sweep over the past 48 hours.
Wednesday morning officers served search warrants to four homes — three in Gilbert, one in Chandler. On Tuesday, Phoenix police served warrants to two homes in the West Valley.
A neighbor who only identified himself as Chris, watched as officers swarmed the rundown home.
“They finally took down our neighborhood little druggie house,” he said.
He and others living in a neighborhood near downtown Gilbert said it was always a problem, but over the past two years, it’s escalated.
“It was like one of those zombie movies,” he explained. “People were walking back and forth down the street. We were finding needles on the sidewalks. It was just a bad element.”
Neighbors complained and Gilbert Police Sgt. Jesse Sanger said that kicked off a seven-month-long investigation.
“We listened to the citizens who kept telling us, ‘Hey, there’s drugs coming and going, stolen property coming and going. We’re seeing it. We’re sick of it,'” Sanger said.
The sting connected dots between six houses used as alleged distribution sites for methamphetamine, marijuana, heroin and stolen guns, as well as other stolen property, said Sanger.
The second home was a cul-de-sac away from the drug house on Bruce Avenue. A child’s Spider-Man curtain in a bedroom window, a large speed boat and newer pickup truck in the driveway made it look less suspicious.
“Inside, officers hauled out 20 bales of marijuana, more stolen guns, and stolen property,” confirmed Sanger.
Similar scenarios played out as search warrants were served to a third home in Gilbert, near Elliot and Gilbert roads, and an apartment in Chandler near Arizona Avenue and Ray Road.
All four busts happened simultaneously to avoid tipping off suspects inside each of the homes early Wednesday.
The day before, Phoenix police served search warrants at two West Valley homes along the 67th Avenue corridor. Both are believed to be connected to the East Valley drug ring.
As of Wednesday afternoon, police arrested 14 people and are questioning several more with expectations of making more arrests.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas