SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — There was the sound of hooves on the streets of Scottsdale Wednesday.
Members of the Scottsdale Charros arrived on horseback Wednesday to deliver a $250,000 check to the Scottsdale Museum of the West, which is under construction at Second Street and Marshall Way in Scottsdale.
The Charros raised the money through proceeds from this year’s San Francisco Giants spring training games. Jim Bruner of the Charros said that usually the group donates the proceeds from the games to education.
“They felt that this was something unique and special,” said Bruner, who is also on the museum’s Board of Directors. “The mission and vision of the museum in Scottsdale is very much like the mission and vision of the Scottsdale Charros…to promote the city and to promote the Western heritage and culture of our community.”
Museum CEO Mike Fox said the Scottsdale Museum of the West will be a real asset to the city.
“It’s a 43,000-square-foot building,” he said. “We have a number of different galleries within the museum for which you can always expect for there to be the very best of Western art and artifacts.”
Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane said the donation is great for the city.
“This is one of the most sought-after accomplishments in the city of Scottsdale for the past 50 years — the Scottsdale Museum of the West,” Lane explained. “We’re just as proud as we can be that we’ve gotten to this point after so much time.”
The museum is expected to open by the end of the year. For more information, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon