SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — There was the sound of hooves on the streets of Scottsdale Wednesday.
Members of the Scottsdale Charros arrived on horseback Wednesday to deliver a $250,000 check to the Scottsdale Museum of the West, which is under construction at Second Street and Marshall Way in Scottsdale.
The Charros raised the money through proceeds from this year’s San Francisco Giants spring training games. Jim Bruner of the Charros said that usually the group donates the proceeds from the games to education.
“They felt that this was something unique and special,” said Bruner, who is also on the museum’s Board of Directors. “The mission and vision of the museum in Scottsdale is very much like the mission and vision of the Scottsdale Charros…to promote the city and to promote the Western heritage and culture of our community.”
Museum CEO Mike Fox said the Scottsdale Museum of the West will be a real asset to the city.
“It’s a 43,000-square-foot building,” he said. “We have a number of different galleries within the museum for which you can always expect for there to be the very best of Western art and artifacts.”
Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane said the donation is great for the city.
“This is one of the most sought-after accomplishments in the city of Scottsdale for the past 50 years — the Scottsdale Museum of the West,” Lane explained. “We’re just as proud as we can be that we’ve gotten to this point after so much time.”
The museum is expected to open by the end of the year. For more information, click here.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee