PHOENIX — Three people were injured and one person has died after being struck by gunfire early Saturday morning at neighboring west Phoenix house parties.
Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos said officers responded to shots fired just after 2 a.m. Saturday in the 5400 block of West Palm Lane.
Martos said two homes were hosting parties across the street from each other, and at some point people from both parties got into an altercation. One person retrieved a handgun and fired multiple shots outside of the homes, Martos said.
Police said one of the shooting victims drove away from the scene, possibly in an attempt to seek medical attention, and got into a car accident near 54th Avenue and Cypress Street. That victim, identified as 25-year-old Marcus Hernandez, died as a result of the bullet wounds, Martos said.
Martos said later in the morning two of the victims were found at a hospital in the area after they drove themselves to seek medical attention. One victim remained on the scene of the shooting and had family call 911.
Two of the injured victims are in stable condition, but one is in a critical but stable state, Martos said.
Homicide detectives currently have no description of the suspect, but Martos encouraged those with information about the altercation to call the Phoenix Police Department or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America