PHOENIX — Three people were injured and one person has died after being struck by gunfire early Saturday morning at neighboring west Phoenix house parties.
Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos said officers responded to shots fired just after 2 a.m. Saturday in the 5400 block of West Palm Lane.
Martos said two homes were hosting parties across the street from each other, and at some point people from both parties got into an altercation. One person retrieved a handgun and fired multiple shots outside of the homes, Martos said.
Police said one of the shooting victims drove away from the scene, possibly in an attempt to seek medical attention, and got into a car accident near 54th Avenue and Cypress Street. That victim, identified as 25-year-old Marcus Hernandez, died as a result of the bullet wounds, Martos said.
Martos said later in the morning two of the victims were found at a hospital in the area after they drove themselves to seek medical attention. One victim remained on the scene of the shooting and had family call 911.
Two of the injured victims are in stable condition, but one is in a critical but stable state, Martos said.
Homicide detectives currently have no description of the suspect, but Martos encouraged those with information about the altercation to call the Phoenix Police Department or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains