PHOENIX — The stakes are too high to legalize recreational marijuana, according to Arizona’s governor.
During a one-on-one interview with KTAR News, Gov. Doug Ducey said if it were not for drugs, Arizona would be a much better place.
He believes the majority of problems the state faces can be linked back to drugs.
“From unemployment, to homelessness, to domestic violence, to child neglect, to our prison population,” Ducey said.
While the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol has nearly gathered the required amount of voter signatures to make it on the November ballot, Gov. Ducey said he cannot support the measure.
“I don’t know how we make ourselves a stronger state or a better place through this initiative,” he said. “Almost everything outside of our economy and education that I have to deal with in this state has a common culprit of drug abuse and addiction.”
Campaign to Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol Chairman J.P. Holyoak responded to the governor’s comments claiming Ducey is mischaracterizing marijuana by lumping it in with all other illegal drugs. He claims the drug is objectively safer than alcohol which is already legal.
“Different drugs have different outcomes and should be treated differently,” Holyoak said. “I mean alcohol is certainly a drug, but we know that prohibition of that doesn’t work either.”
He said legalizing marijuana is an important issue to voters, and he hopes Ducey gives it more thought before voting in November.
“When we start looking at the national trends and where our initiative is currently polling in Arizona, it makes absolute sense for him to take a look at this and have an honest discussion about it,” Holyoak said.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- Gov. Doug Ducey announces expansion of state employee childcare program
- Gov. Doug Ducey urges Congress not to repeal Obamacare without replacement plan
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to allocate $3.5M for youth substance abuse prevention
- Arizona governor’s grab of cash for roads risks fight in legislature
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey to attend inauguration, Reps. Gallego, Grijalva to skip