PHOENIX — More than 10,000 people statewide saw what many believe was a mass UFO event on March 13, 1997.
It became known as the Phoenix Lights, but calls came in from Las Vegas, Kingman, Sedona and many other places.
“It wasn’t just one event, there were many events across the state for more than 12 hours,” said Dr. Lynne Kitei with the Phoenix Lights Network.
Kitei said the event remains unexplained even though though the military tried explain it.
“The military tried to explain it as flares five months after the event,” she said. “Some people saw the mile-wide craft glide over their heads at rooftop level silently. Some saw it take off at lightning speed. Some people saw orbs detach from the main object.”
One witness from Prescott who wishes to be known only as J.R. said he watched a boomerang-shaped object glide over Granite Mountain, and it was at least a mile wide. He says there’s no way it was from this planet.
“We don’t have anything that big,” he said. “It was totally silent. I’ve never seen anything even close to the colors from the exhaust that propelled that thing. It was as big as downtown Prescott and completely blocked out the stars.”
Kitei said a program is scheduled for Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Scottsdale Harkins Shea Cinema to celebrate the 17th anniversary of the historic and still unexplained mass UFO sighting. For more information, visit http://www.thephoenixlights.net/.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food