PHOENIX — The Tempe City Council passed a law Thursday night that will bring fines up to $2,500 against any business that discriminates based on, among other things, sexual orientation, race, religion and disability.
Councilman Kolby Granville said in a statement, “In your heart of hearts you can believe whatever you want, but if you come to Tempe I expect you to treat everyone equally. I think every city should have an anti-discrimination ordinances. Frankly, I think it should be part of state law, and I think we will get there.”
Mayor Mark Mitchell and the council unanimously passed the ordinance, which read in part:
“The city ordinance bans discrimination in housing, employment and accommodations at restaurants and hotels, but includes exceptions for religious organizations and social clubs. Businesses or individuals that discriminate in Tempe on the basis of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability and U.S. military veteran status. …”
Phoenix, Tucson and Flagstaff have passed similiar measures.
The move comes in the aftermath of the state’s controversial SB 1062, which Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed Wednesday.
That bill would have allowed businesses, citing religious beliefs, to deny service to gays and others.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon