PHOENIX — The Tempe City Council passed a law Thursday night that will bring fines up to $2,500 against any business that discriminates based on, among other things, sexual orientation, race, religion and disability.
Councilman Kolby Granville said in a statement, “In your heart of hearts you can believe whatever you want, but if you come to Tempe I expect you to treat everyone equally. I think every city should have an anti-discrimination ordinances. Frankly, I think it should be part of state law, and I think we will get there.”
Mayor Mark Mitchell and the council unanimously passed the ordinance, which read in part:
“The city ordinance bans discrimination in housing, employment and accommodations at restaurants and hotels, but includes exceptions for religious organizations and social clubs. Businesses or individuals that discriminate in Tempe on the basis of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability and U.S. military veteran status. …”
Phoenix, Tucson and Flagstaff have passed similiar measures.
The move comes in the aftermath of the state’s controversial SB 1062, which Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed Wednesday.
That bill would have allowed businesses, citing religious beliefs, to deny service to gays and others.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas