PHOENIX — A Valley playground has a new slide of the reptilian variety.
According to GrittyPress.com, McDowell Mountain Park in Fountain Hills, Ariz. is now home to a 15,000-pound rattlesnake slide designed to look like the Western Diamondback rattlesnake, which is native to Arizona.
The massive slide includes a rattle tail spinner and a surrounding play area equipped with numerous places to climb, including fake cacti and boulders connected by a spider web climbing net.
Rand Hubbell, Park Supervisor of McDowell Mountain Regional Park, gave Team Gritty the lowdown. “This project came about because the playgrounds in the ten regional parks that the county manages are about 10 years old,” said Rand. “And at that point, you have to have a major refurbishing of the playgrounds, or replace them. We opted to replace them with some new, really unique sculptures that we think are different than you’d find in most of your neighborhood parks.”
The snake was built in Fort Payne, Ala. and was shipped across the country to Fountain Hills. Only one other exists in Las Vegas.
The park sees between 80,000 and 100,000 visitors per year.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck