PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton isn’t ruling out the possibility of more gun buybacks even though they can no longer be melted down, thanks to a new Arizona law.
Stanton said state lawmakers should not be in the business of making decisions for police agencies.
“When we politicize law enforcement, generally bad things occur,” he said.
It cost Phoenix around $10,000 to destroy the guns seized in the buybacks with a total of 175 hours of police overtime. But Stanton said the guns were collected with the help of big donation from Basha’s.
“So if a donor was to come forward and felt that working with law enforcement was a good idea, then absolutely we would do another gun buyback program,” he said. “I don’t know if law enforcement would want to do it to be perfectly honest.”
Phoenix was able to destroy 2,000 guns that were turned in during gun buybacks earlier this year before a new Arizona law took effect last week that prohibits buyback guns from being destroyed.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night