PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton isn’t ruling out the possibility of more gun buybacks even though they can no longer be melted down, thanks to a new Arizona law.
Stanton said state lawmakers should not be in the business of making decisions for police agencies.
“When we politicize law enforcement, generally bad things occur,” he said.
It cost Phoenix around $10,000 to destroy the guns seized in the buybacks with a total of 175 hours of police overtime. But Stanton said the guns were collected with the help of big donation from Basha’s.
“So if a donor was to come forward and felt that working with law enforcement was a good idea, then absolutely we would do another gun buyback program,” he said. “I don’t know if law enforcement would want to do it to be perfectly honest.”
Phoenix was able to destroy 2,000 guns that were turned in during gun buybacks earlier this year before a new Arizona law took effect last week that prohibits buyback guns from being destroyed.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier