PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton isn’t ruling out the possibility of more gun buybacks even though they can no longer be melted down, thanks to a new Arizona law.
Stanton said state lawmakers should not be in the business of making decisions for police agencies.
“When we politicize law enforcement, generally bad things occur,” he said.
It cost Phoenix around $10,000 to destroy the guns seized in the buybacks with a total of 175 hours of police overtime. But Stanton said the guns were collected with the help of big donation from Basha’s.
“So if a donor was to come forward and felt that working with law enforcement was a good idea, then absolutely we would do another gun buyback program,” he said. “I don’t know if law enforcement would want to do it to be perfectly honest.”
Phoenix was able to destroy 2,000 guns that were turned in during gun buybacks earlier this year before a new Arizona law took effect last week that prohibits buyback guns from being destroyed.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon