PHOENIX — An Arizona Department of Public Safety officer helped deliver a child along a highway over the weekend.
Trooper Miguel Rincon, who had pulled over a driver for a traffic violation along State Route 80 near Bisbee, was approached by a woman who said her granddaughter was in labor and about to give birth.
“He immediately stopped what he was doing on the traffic stop,” Quentin Mehr with DPS said. “He went back to his car, requested medics to respond, got some gloves, got some blankets.
“By the time he got up to the car, the baby had already been delivered,” Mehr said.
Mehr said Rincon wrapped the baby up and cared for both the newborn and mother until medical help arrived.
Both the mother and child are doing well.
KTAR’s Lauren Grifo contributed to this report.
- Man surrenders to Arizona troopers for driving wrong way on Loop 101
- Arizona DPS trooper nearly struck by wrong-way driver on Phoenix freeway
- Day starts on bad note for drivers in wreck on Interstate 17 in Phoenix
- Arizona DPS trooper injured in I-17 crash gets visit from K9 partner
- Magazine names Bisbee as one of America’s best small towns