You might have seen the story about the sleeping man who was swallowed up by a massive sinkhole in Florida. The Arizona Geological Survey has been busy fielding calls about the existence of this natural occurrence in the Grand Canyon State.
Sinkholes do exist in Arizona.
“They are holes that occur in areas that have underlying soluble rock, which include limestone and salt bodies,” said Michael Conway with the Arizona Geological Survey. “The groundwater travels through these rocks and slowly, bit by bit, molecule by molecule, they do dissolve those rocks.”
Conway also said groundwater travel causes fractures or caverns to open up, leading to caves or sub-surface features. If there isn’t sufficient support above, the earth collapses as was the case in Florida.
He said the most active sinkholes in Arizona are in Sedona.
“There are seven or eight sinkholes that have been identified, two or three of them have been active historically,” said Conway.
In addition to the Sedona area, geologists have identified active sinkholes in the Holbrook Basin.
Another example of a sinkhole, one which thousands have witnessed, is Montezuma’s Well.
“It’s a marvelous example,” Conway said.
Fortunately, for Arizona city dwellers, geologists said the limestone in the area is buried much deeper than in other areas and that the chances of being swallowed up by a sinkhole are minimal.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon