You might have seen the story about the sleeping man who was swallowed up by a massive sinkhole in Florida. The Arizona Geological Survey has been busy fielding calls about the existence of this natural occurrence in the Grand Canyon State.
Sinkholes do exist in Arizona.
“They are holes that occur in areas that have underlying soluble rock, which include limestone and salt bodies,” said Michael Conway with the Arizona Geological Survey. “The groundwater travels through these rocks and slowly, bit by bit, molecule by molecule, they do dissolve those rocks.”
Conway also said groundwater travel causes fractures or caverns to open up, leading to caves or sub-surface features. If there isn’t sufficient support above, the earth collapses as was the case in Florida.
He said the most active sinkholes in Arizona are in Sedona.
“There are seven or eight sinkholes that have been identified, two or three of them have been active historically,” said Conway.
In addition to the Sedona area, geologists have identified active sinkholes in the Holbrook Basin.
Another example of a sinkhole, one which thousands have witnessed, is Montezuma’s Well.
“It’s a marvelous example,” Conway said.
Fortunately, for Arizona city dwellers, geologists said the limestone in the area is buried much deeper than in other areas and that the chances of being swallowed up by a sinkhole are minimal.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.