PHOENIX — A Phoenix police officer trying to put down a dog that was attacking people accidentally injured a man standing nearby early Thursday morning.
A police spokesman said the dog had been pacing outside a convenience store at 19th and Southern avenues, going after customers entering the store.
An officer inside the store went outside to check on the situation and the dog went after him, biting him on the arm.
The officer managed to shoot the dog, but he also wounded the unidentified man. The bystander was hit in the leg and taken to a hospital.
Animal control came for the dog, which later died.
KTAR’s Jim Cross and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Interstate 17 closes in Phoenix as police talk down suicidal man
- Man killed in Phoenix after shootout with police
- Police searching for missing woman after toddler found abandoned
- Phoenix police searching for robbery suspect who threatened guard
- Silver Alert cancelled for missing 74-year-old woman in Phoenix