PHOENIX — A Phoenix police officer trying to put down a dog that was attacking people accidentally injured a man standing nearby early Thursday morning.
A police spokesman said the dog had been pacing outside a convenience store at 19th and Southern avenues, going after customers entering the store.
An officer inside the store went outside to check on the situation and the dog went after him, biting him on the arm.
The officer managed to shoot the dog, but he also wounded the unidentified man. The bystander was hit in the leg and taken to a hospital.
Animal control came for the dog, which later died.
KTAR’s Jim Cross and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Young woman dies, teen boy seriously hurt in north Phoenix car wreck
- Main Street Minute: Teens can nominate teachers for monthly honor
- Phoenix police association to hold fundraising cookout for injured officer
- Phoenix police identify man who was shot and killed by officer
- Phoenix street closed after pedestrian struck by vehicle dies