PHOENIX — A Phoenix police officer trying to put down a dog that was attacking people accidentally injured a man standing nearby early Thursday morning.
A police spokesman said the dog had been pacing outside a convenience store at 19th and Southern avenues, going after customers entering the store.
An officer inside the store went outside to check on the situation and the dog went after him, biting him on the arm.
The officer managed to shoot the dog, but he also wounded the unidentified man. The bystander was hit in the leg and taken to a hospital.
Animal control came for the dog, which later died.
KTAR’s Jim Cross and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Phoenix serial murder suspect’s lawyers granted more time
- Phoenix-area child transported to hospital with gunshot wound
- Phoenix police arrest 86 men in human trafficking sting
- Woman dies, 3 hurt in 4-car accident at Phoenix intersection
- Accused Phoenix serial street shooter’s lawyers object to tests