Man shot by police after reversing car into Mesa officer during traffic stop
PHOENIX — A man who is suspected of reversing into a police officer and a patrol car during a traffic stop was shot by an officer early Saturday morning, police said.
Around 3 a.m., Mesa police officers pulled over 21-year-old Anthony C. Lopez at Dobson Road and Southern Avenue and suspected the driver of being impaired.
The driver did not follow their directions and then reversed the car. He hit one of the officers and the police car.
“As the suspect vehicle struck the officer, the officer dropped his less lethal taser, drew his weapon shooting the suspect,” Mesa police spokesperson Steve Berry said in a statement.
The officer’s leg was injured and he was taken to the hospital. He was later released.
The suspect was also taken to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Wreck shuts down I-17 in Phoenix during rush hour Tuesday
- Mesa, Chandler police join Neighbors app by Ring this week
- Deputy-involved shooting in Buckeye leaves one man dead, deputy injured
- Traffic advisories set for Arizonans going to Coachella, Stagecoach
- Item that caused Phoenix freeway closures found to be a traffic counter