Body of 54-year-old man recovered at Lake Pleasant in Phoenix area
PHOENIX — The body of a 54-year-old man was found in Lake Pleasant in northwest Phoenix on Tuesday, one day after he went missing while swimming with his daughter.
Sgt. Bryant Vanegas, a spokesman for the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, told KTAR News 92.3 FM that the body of Fernando Vargas was around 10 a.m.
While the body was found in 23 feet of water, Vanegas said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the drowning death.
Vargas first went missing around 4 p.m. on Monday.
He was swimming with his 32-year-old daughter in a cove just south of Scorpion Bay.
Vanegas said Vargas went under the water while attempting to cross the bay.
The daughter, who was not identified, tried to hold him above water but was unsuccessful.
Nearby boaters were able to rescue the daughter.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Oklahoma man arrested in Arizona after explosive device found in car
- Men steal Cricket Wireless phones while woman distracts employee
- Thousands to take part in Women’s March in Phoenix on Saturday
- Federal employees line up in Phoenix for food boxes on 28th shutdown day
- Arizona man sentenced to 280 years in prison for child pornography