Body of 54-year-old man recovered at Lake Pleasant in Phoenix area
PHOENIX — The body of a 54-year-old man was found in Lake Pleasant in northwest Phoenix on Tuesday, one day after he went missing while swimming with his daughter.
Sgt. Bryant Vanegas, a spokesman for the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, told KTAR News 92.3 FM that the body of Fernando Vargas was around 10 a.m.
While the body was found in 23 feet of water, Vanegas said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the drowning death.
Vargas first went missing around 4 p.m. on Monday.
He was swimming with his 32-year-old daughter in a cove just south of Scorpion Bay.
Vanegas said Vargas went under the water while attempting to cross the bay.
The daughter, who was not identified, tried to hold him above water but was unsuccessful.
Nearby boaters were able to rescue the daughter.
- Heroin, fentanyl seized and numerous arrested in Arizona operation
- Phoenix firefighters union requests more staff, say it’s necessary
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in 2013 fatal hit-and-run
- Arizona study finds ZIP codes serve as indicator of community health
- Mesa airport standing by Allegiant Air after scathing safety report