Body of 54-year-old man recovered at Lake Pleasant in Phoenix area
PHOENIX — The body of a 54-year-old man was found in Lake Pleasant in northwest Phoenix on Tuesday, one day after he went missing while swimming with his daughter.
Sgt. Bryant Vanegas, a spokesman for the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, told KTAR News 92.3 FM that the body of Fernando Vargas was around 10 a.m.
While the body was found in 23 feet of water, Vanegas said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the drowning death.
Vargas first went missing around 4 p.m. on Monday.
He was swimming with his 32-year-old daughter in a cove just south of Scorpion Bay.
Vanegas said Vargas went under the water while attempting to cross the bay.
The daughter, who was not identified, tried to hold him above water but was unsuccessful.
Nearby boaters were able to rescue the daughter.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Mexican wolves found dead in Arizona, New Mexico
- 3 killed, 2 seriously hurt in rollover crash on Phoenix street
- Officials to kick off expansion process on I-10 between Phoenix, Casa Grande
- Phoenix intersection reopens after sinkhole causes weeks-long closure
- Arizona native David Spade to perform on Copper Blues Live opening day