Arizona does not fare too well in list of best cities for college basketball
PHOENIX — The National Collegiate Athletic Association’s March Madness will soon be in full swing.
In honor of the biggest college basketball tournament of the season, WalletHub released its list of top cities in the nation for college basketball fans — and Arizona did not fare too well.
The Arizona city that ranked the highest was — maybe not surprisingly — Tucson, the home of the No. 15 University of Arizona Wildcats. The southern Arizona city came in at No. 44 on the list.
Phoenix, which is home to the Grand Canyon University Antelopes, came in at No. 104, while Tempe, home of the Arizona State University Sun Devils, fell further down the list at No. 178.
The Wildcats also ranked fourth on WalletHub’s list of best-performing college basketball teams. Phoenix also ranked among the cities with the least accessible college basketball stadiums.
However, the nation’s top two basketball cities should come as no surprise: Chapel Hill — home of the North Carolina Tar Heels — and Lawrence — home of the Kansas Jayhawks — were ranked as the best cities in the United States for college basketball.
KTAR News’ Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Interior Sec. Ryan Zinke talks opioid crisis in Arizona’s Indian country
- Arizona officials report slight uptick in St. Patrick’s Day weekend DUI arrests
- Check out these highlights from 2018 Luke Days featuring the Blue Angels
- Phoenix area posts second-largest increase in construction jobs in US
- Multiple Arizona cities chosen as top places to retire, Scottsdale ranks first