Phoenix suburb takes top spot among safest cities in Arizona, US
PHOENIX — One of the safest cities in the country is right here in Arizona.
The city of Gilbert has cracked the top five safest cities in the nation, according to WalletHub. The Phoenix suburb scored as the fifth-safest city in the country.
The company examined different indicators of safety and security in more than 150 cities across the country, including road quality, theft and job security.
Jill Gonzalez, an analyst with the company, said Gilbert passed all the tests, coming in with the second-lowest rate of theft, third-lowest rate of aggravated assault and fifth-lowest rate of rape in the nation.
But Gilbert was not the only Arizona city to make the list: Chandler came in at No. 11, followed closely by Peoria at No. 14 and Scottsdale at No. 20.
Further down the list were Mesa at No. 34, Tempe at 43rd and Glendale at No. 85.
However, it was the two biggest cities in the state that scored among the worst: Phoenix came in at 116th in the nation, while Tucson scored the worst at No. 161.
Where is the safest city in the nation, you ask? Fans of the hit comedy series “The Office” might recognize this place: Nashua, New Hampshire, which scored the highest on the list of safe cities.
On the opposite end of the spectrum was Fort Lauderdale, Florida; which came in all the way at No. 182.
KTAR News’ Ali Vetnar contributed to this report.
- Phoenix-based fashion brand picked to create artwork for Epcot exhibition
- 15-year-old arrested for threatening to ‘shoot up’ Gilbert high school
- Phoenix officer suffers minor injuries in shooting, suspect in custody
- Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton to resign on May 29 to run for Congress
- Phoenix man charged in deadly serial shootings stays out of courtroom again