I-17 closed in Phoenix for police activity
PHOENIX — Traffic on Interstate 17 was backed up more than usual during rush hour Thursday evening.
First, I-17 northbound at Camelback Road was closed for over an hour starting at about 4 p.m. because of a car fire. Drivers were forced to take an alternate route.
At about 6 p.m., the Arizona Department of Transportation announced that I-17 northbound and southbound were closed for police activity.
Northbound traffic was stopped at Bethany Home Road, while southbound traffic was stopped at Glendale Avenue.
ADOT did not give a time estimate for when I-17 would reopen.
- Arizona officials work to ensure wildlife have water during drought
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona-related stories from this weekend
- McCain viewed more favorably among Arizona Dems than GOP, poll finds
- Has Republican Party been redefined under Trump? Sen. Jeff Flake says so
- Ex-high school teacher in western Arizona arrested in sex investigation