I-17 closed in Phoenix for police activity
PHOENIX — Traffic on Interstate 17 was backed up more than usual during rush hour Thursday evening.
First, I-17 northbound at Camelback Road was closed for over an hour starting at about 4 p.m. because of a car fire. Drivers were forced to take an alternate route.
At about 6 p.m., the Arizona Department of Transportation announced that I-17 northbound and southbound were closed for police activity.
Northbound traffic was stopped at Bethany Home Road, while southbound traffic was stopped at Glendale Avenue.
ADOT did not give a time estimate for when I-17 would reopen.
- Arizona bill would fine residents for misrepresenting service animals
- Gov. Doug Ducey among keynote speakers for Phoenix Startup Week
- Arizona Snowbowl closed on President’s Day due to high winds
- Man fatally shot by officer at Scottsdale Fashion Square
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona stories from President’s Day weekend