PHOENIX — Traffic on Interstate 17 was backed up more than usual during rush hour Thursday evening.
First, I-17 northbound at Camelback Road was closed for over an hour starting at about 4 p.m. because of a car fire. Drivers were forced to take an alternate route.
At about 6 p.m., the Arizona Department of Transportation announced that I-17 northbound and southbound were closed for police activity.
Northbound traffic was stopped at Bethany Home Road, while southbound traffic was stopped at Glendale Avenue.
ADOT did not give a time estimate for when I-17 would reopen.
- Trump’s visit to force closures of some downtown Phoenix streets, businesses
- Vice President Mike Pence expected to join Trump at Phoenix rally
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey will not attend Trump’s Phoenix rally
- Democratic leader says Trump’s unpredictability causing US instability
- Ex-Maricopa County deputy gets prison for sex with inmate