President Donald Trump quietly appointed Thomas D. Homan as acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement late Monday night, according to a press release.
In a statement from Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, there was no reason given for the dismissal of former acting ICE Director Daniel Ragsdale.
“I am confident that [Homan] will continue to serve as a strong, effective leader for the men and women of ICE,” the statement read. “I look forward to working alongside him to ensure that we enforce our immigration laws in the interior of the United States consistent with the national interest.”
Homan had served as the executive associate director of ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations since 2013 and was a 33-year veteran of law enforcement.
The move came less than an hour after White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer announced acting Attorney General Sally Yates had been replaced by U.S. Attorney Dana Boente. The move dominated news headlines, after Yates defied Department of Justice by refusing to defend Trump’s executive order.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Trump taps Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as national security adviser
- Coconino County officials say immigration enforcement not priority
- Did Sheriff Paul Penzone declare Maricopa County as a sanctuary county?
- Southern Arizona city mayor: Trump’s border wall is waste of taxpayer money
- The Latest: Trump invites Panama, Trinidad-Tobago leaders