President Donald Trump quietly appointed Thomas D. Homan as acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement late Monday night, according to a press release.
In a statement from Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, there was no reason given for the dismissal of former acting ICE Director Daniel Ragsdale.
“I am confident that [Homan] will continue to serve as a strong, effective leader for the men and women of ICE,” the statement read. “I look forward to working alongside him to ensure that we enforce our immigration laws in the interior of the United States consistent with the national interest.”
Homan had served as the executive associate director of ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations since 2013 and was a 33-year veteran of law enforcement.
The move came less than an hour after White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer announced acting Attorney General Sally Yates had been replaced by U.S. Attorney Dana Boente. The move dominated news headlines, after Yates defied Department of Justice by refusing to defend Trump’s executive order.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Sharper Point: Things Donald Trump should have focused on in his first 100 days
- Arizona congressman happy to see border tax left out of Trump’s tax plan
- Arizona congressman says he’ll give up pay if government shuts down
- The Latest: Trump says NAFTA pull-out would shock system
- Rush to hire Border Patrol agents raises concerns about unqualified officers