A vehicle with hidden compartments storing two Mexican nationals was seized by the Tucson Sector Border Control Sunday.
The driver, a U.S. citizen, was arrested.
A secondary inspection of the vehicle revealed the two compartments in it that were added after-market. There were no means of escape in the compartment, meaning if there was no one to get them out they would have remained trapped in the area.
The driver is being held with pending charges, while the Mexican nationals will be processed for removal.
In a press release, the Tucson Sector Border Patrol said, “federal law allows the Border Patrol to charge individuals by complaint, a method that allows the filing of charges for criminal activity without inferring guilt. An individual is presumed innocent unless and until competent evidence is presented to a jury that establishes guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.”
- Group: Border Patrol agents destroy immigrant aid in Arizona desert
- Previously deported member of MS-13 gang arrested in Arizona
- Man accused of assaulting Border Patrol agent in southern Arizona
- FBI doubles reward for information in Texas border patrol agent’s death
- Billboards in Arizona, other states seek info on Border Patrol agent’s death