PHOENIX — Tempe has been named the No. 1 college town in the country.
The list of the country’s 10 best college towns is put together yearly by Livability.com and looks at the relationship between students and residents as well as other factors like the city’s graduate retention rate, housing prices and availability, and entertainment opportunities.
Arizona State University’s Division I athletic program in particular also helped put Tempe in the top spot, as the makers of the list said “strong sports programs often influence how college towns are defined.”
The site also praised the university for putting “qualified, educated workers” into sectors of the city like aerospace and finance, allowing area businesses to grow.
Tempe’s spot next to Phoenix and Scottsdale, “large population and cultural centers,” also played into netting the list’s No. 1 spot.
In addition to this year’s Best College Town rankings, Tempe has appeared on some of Livability.com’s other lists including its top 100 Best Places to Live, 10 Best Downtowns as well as the 2014 list of 10 Best College Towns.
- ASU students to host free health fair for the homeless
- Six haunted spots to grab a Halloween bite in the Phoenix area
- Arizona Supreme Court rejects bid to reverse electric rate hike
- Phoenix among US cities that have changed the most in past decade
- Main Street Minute: Breakfast chain opens 2nd Phoenix spot