PHOENIX — The Gilbert Town Council has appointed fellow member Jenn Daniels as mayor, filing the vacancy left by John Lewis.
Daniels has served on the council since 2009 and will run uncontested for a four-year mayoral term in the Aug. 30 primary election.
Lewis served as mayor for seven years and resigned before the end of his term, which was up in January 2017.
The former mayor stepped down in order to take over as president and CEO of the East Valley Partnership, a non-partisan organization that advocates for the East Valley in areas like economic development, education and transportation.
It was first announced in December 2015 that Lewis would leave his post by summer 2016 for the new position.
- Study shows Arizona cities rank among happiest places to live in US
- Sheriff’s office employee killed by police in incident at Gilbert home
- Website rates Gilbert as hardest-working city in Arizona
- Hello Kitty Cafe Truck pulling into Phoenix area this weekend
- Three Valley cities ranked among top 10 most prosperous in America