PHOENIX — Over 400 ideas were submitted and the top 13 finalists in the Bashas’ “Donut Flavor Craze Contest” were announced Monday.
Earlier this month, Bashas’ created a contest for kids ages 8-18 to submit a 100-word description of their idea for a new doughnut flavor. The submissions included a name, ingredients and an explanation as to why they think their doughnut is the king of them all.
The top 13 finalists ranged from ages 7 to 13.
These submissions are so sweet you’ll get a toothache just from reading all of them.
In no particular order, here are the 13 finalists:
- Cupcake Donut: A doughnut on the outside with a cupcake on the inside.
- Churro Donut: A churro baked into a doughnut, covered with glaze, cinnamon and sugar.
- Karamello Krunch: A doughnut filled with crunchy almonds and pecans, topped with caramel and chocolate syrup.
- Bananas Foster Fritter: Similar to an apple fritter, this doughnut contains sliced bananas and banana putting on the inside while the bumpy exterior is enveloped in a glistening caramel. Beneath the coating is orange zest, cinnamon, dark brown sugar and a little ground nutmeg sprinkled around the doughnut.
- Smorealicious: A chocolate doughnut with marshmallow frosting and graham cracker crumbles.
- Salted Caramel & Pretzel Craze: Chocolate cake doughnut smothered in caramel frosting topped with caramel drizzle and dusted in salted pretzel bites.
- Caramel Apple: Caramel-flavored frosting on top with little pieces of apple baked into the doughnut.
- Red Rose Blueberry Donut: Raspberry, Strawberry and blueberry filling with blueberry frosting and rainbow sprinkles.
- Lemon Raspberry Delight: An original doughnut filled with raspberry cream and topped with lemon glaze and sprinkled with crushed graham crackers.
- Malt Shoppe Delight: A vanilla raised doughnut with chocolate malt filling and chocolate icing topped with crushed malt balls.
- Zombie Donut: A glazed, green frosted doughnut with red gummy worms coming out of it.
- Half-Baked Cookie: Regular doughnut dough filled with half-baked chocolate chip dough batter and a melted chocolate swirl.
- Brownie Batter Donut: A doughnut with a brownie inside and chocolate frosting on top.
To vote for your favorite creation, go to Bashas’ Facebook page.
The winner will be announced on May 31.
The winner will receive a $100 Bashas’ gift card and a free dozen doughnuts each month for one year. Their brainchild of fried goodness will also become the 60th doughnut in the store’s lineup.
The runner-up will receive a $75 gift card and third place will get a $50 gift card.
All of the finalists will get a $25 gift card and a free dozen doughnuts.
The winning work of art will be on Bashas’ bakery shelves for the month of June and will be available for special order after that.
- Arizona parks well-suited for families looking to take a last-minute vacation
- Volunteers, activists help Guatemalan mom reunite with kids
- Deported parents could face barriers when reuniting with their children
- Young children at greater drowning risk in open water, study finds
- Mesa father arrested for allegedly beating, burning, threatening kids