PHOENIX — Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ wife and community organizer, Jane Sanders, visited Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Tent City on Monday.
Opened in 1993, Tent City currently houses over 2,000 inmates. The containment overall is a borderline inhumane facility for prisoners. Inmates are fed rotten fruit, moldy bread and the temperature reaches 110 degrees.
Jane also planned to meet with victims of Arapio’s raids. The senator’s wife visited and heard from families who have been victimized by deportations, and individuals who have come to this country as unaccompanied minors.
Bernie previously spoke at the Phoenix Convention Center in July 2015, stressing the importance of comprehensive immigration and prioritizing funding in education rather than jails.
Arizona’s Presidential Preference Election is March 22.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Experts raise alarms over fundraising for GOP ballot reviews
- Ducey, ready for audit results, says time to move on from 2020 election
- Trump supporters raise $5.7M for Arizona election audit
- Trump says he’s looking forward to Phoenix visit, rips GOP state senator
- Capitol rioter who breached Senate gets 8 months for felony