PHOENIX — Local college football movers and shakers are resting easy now: Phoenix’s Cactus Bowl has found a sponsor, popular national chain Motel 6, the Fiesta Bowl organization said.
The agreement for the 2016 game was announced Monday.
The Motel 6 Cactus Bowl game was scheduled to be played Jan. 2 at Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks in downtown Phoenix. The Cactus Bowl called the baseball stadium home from 2000 to 2005.
The game was held in Tempe from 2006 until renovations at Sun Devil Stadium began after the 2013 season, forcing another relocation.
The Cactus Bowl matches up the No. 5 team from the Big 12 with the No. 6 team from the Pac-12, after the College Football Playoff semifinals and New Year’s bowls are filled.
- Stolen 2-month-old puppy returned safely to Phoenix animal shelter
- Interstate 10 eastbound in Phoenix reopens after fatal multivehicle crash
- Phoenix police searching for man suspected of stealing wire
- Arizona Technology Council finds industry is on the rise
- Phoenix shooting leaves two injured, one dead on Saturday