PHOENIX — Local college football movers and shakers are resting easy now: Phoenix’s Cactus Bowl has found a sponsor, popular national chain Motel 6, the Fiesta Bowl organization said.
The agreement for the 2016 game was announced Monday.
The Motel 6 Cactus Bowl game was scheduled to be played Jan. 2 at Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks in downtown Phoenix. The Cactus Bowl called the baseball stadium home from 2000 to 2005.
The game was held in Tempe from 2006 until renovations at Sun Devil Stadium began after the 2013 season, forcing another relocation.
The Cactus Bowl matches up the No. 5 team from the Big 12 with the No. 6 team from the Pac-12, after the College Football Playoff semifinals and New Year’s bowls are filled.
- Chase Field dispute between D-backs, county heading to arbitration
- Country music star Shania Twain bringing ‘Now’ tour to Phoenix
- ADOT begins wrong-way vehicle detection project on I-17, closures set
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Woman hangs ‘second place’ banner on Phoenix Confederate memorial