Chandler agrees to pay more than $1M to parents of teen killed by police
PHOENIX – The city of Chandler has agreed to settlements totaling more than $1 million with the parents of a teenager who died after police shot him in the back earlier this year.
The City Council on Thursday approved payments, without admitting liability, of $1 million to Kathleen Renee Clum and $125,000 Anthony Jose Cano, the parents of Anthony Bernal Cano.
The 17-year-old was riding his bike around 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 2 when police said he committed a traffic violation near Erie and Delaware streets.
Officer Chase Bebak-Miller tried to pull him over, but Cano rode off and then fled on foot into Gazelle Meadows Park and displayed a gun, police said. Bebak-Miller shot him during the pursuit.
Cano was taken to a hospital in critical condition and died of his injuries three weeks later.
In March, police released five minutes of body-cam footage (WARNING: graphic violence) from the shooting.
The video showed Cano running, then reaching down to the ground as Bebak-Miller yelled, “Weapon drawn! Get on the ground!”
Cano started to run again, and Bebak-Miller shot him in the back twice, once after he’d fallen face down onto the ground.
The officer then told Cano to put his hands behind his back, but the teen replied, “I can’t … help me.”
The teen slowly complied and as sirens approached, he said, “Hurry … hurry. I don’t want to die.”
Other officers arrived, cuffed Cano and began first aid procedures. Cano told them he couldn’t feel his legs and said he had been trying to throw away the gun.
“I thought you were pulling it on me, man. That was stupid,” Bebak-Miller replied.
Chandler Sgt. Jason McClimans said all the footage recorded on the camera was in the released video.
The results of a criminal investigation into the shooting have been submitted to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, but prosecutors have not yet decided whether charges against Bebak-Miller were warranted.