2 Arizona correctional officers arrested for allegedly promoting contraband
PHOENIX — Two officers based at ASPC-Lewis in Buckeye were arrested Friday morning for allegedly promoting prison contraband, officials said.
Daniel Aguilar and Gustavo Leon were arrested on-site at the prison following a months-long investigation by the Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry, and the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
Authorities said both officers immediately resigned from their positions after the arrests.
“The Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry does not tolerate illegal or inappropriate conduct by its staff or offenders under supervision, and supports prosecution to the fullest extent of the law,” David Shinn, ADCRR director, said in a press release.
“I am grateful for our partnership with DPS and their efforts in this investigation along with the efforts of our investigators for their collaborative work which resulted in today’s arrests.”
No further information was provided.
The investigation is ongoing.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Arizona State Troopers Association president: Pay raises will up staffing
- Gilbert officer injured during deadly pursuit ‘responding well to treatment’
- 2 dead, 5 injured following crash involving DPS trooper
- Arizona DPS says ICE, Border Patrol wouldn’t take custody of 17 migrants
- Former Arizona DPS boss would prefer transparency in body-cam legislation