Share this story...
University Towers
Latest News

Dozens of students displaced by fire on 8th floor of ASU dorm

University Towers (Google Street View)

PHOENIX – Dozens of students were displaced following a fire on the eighth floor of an Arizona State University dorm Friday morning, authorities said.

The blaze at University Towers was caused by food burning on the stove, according to the Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department.

Fire crews from Tempe, Phoenix and Mesa responded to the dorm at Fifth Street and Forest Avenue, near Sun Devil Stadium, around 11 a.m.

Sprinklers kept the fire from spreading and firefighters put it out, but surrounding units were impacted by water damage, authorities said.

No injuries were reported.

ASU’s maintenance department told Tempe Fire that about 40 students from 16 units were displaced.

There was no information about how long it would be before they could return.

ASU’s Fire Marshal Office was investigating the incident.

We want to hear from you.

Have a story idea or tip? Pass it along to the KTAR News team here.

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories