Buckeye, Oro Valley top list of 20 safest cities in Arizona
PHOENIX — Despite the western part of the United States having a higher violent crime rate than many other regions of the country, Arizona’s rate was lower than the average national rate.
The 20 safest cities in Arizona averaged 1.7 violent crimes per 1,000 people, according to SafeWise, which is about 63 percent less than the national rate of 4.64.
The site compiled a list of the 20 safest Arizona cities.
The top three were relatively small cities: Buckeye, Oro Valley and Florence, with violent crime rates per 1,000 people of 0.54, 0.66 and 0.71, respectively.
With that said, population size didn’t reflect safety. Gilbert, No. 4 on the list with a 0.78 violent crime rate, has a population of more than 250,000.
Additionally, Gilbert’s property crime rate was lower than that of Buckeye and Oro Valley at 13.16.
Surprise and Scottsdale were two other cities with six-digit populations to make the top 10.
The website used 2016 FBI crime report statistics and population data to evaluate the safety of Arizona cities.
Aggravated assault, murder, rape and robbery were considered violent crimes.
Here’s the complete list of cities that made the list:
- Oro Valley
- San Luis
- Prescott Valley
- Sierra Vista
- El Mirage
- Bullhead City
- Lake Havasu City
- Apache Junction
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Arizona AG Mark Brnovich sues over President Biden’s border policies
- Valley immigration attorney explains legal process for asylum seekers
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey signs bill banning private election grants
- Arizona surpasses 4 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines distributed
- 2 Arizona correctional officers arrested for allegedly promoting contraband