Share this story...
Latest News

Suspect arrested in fatal shooting of Tempe Fire captain

(City of Tempe Photo)
LISTEN: Mark Mitchell, Mayor of Tempe

PHOENIX — The suspect involved in the fatal shooting of an off-duty Tempe Fire captain was arrested Sunday.

Kyle Brayer, 34, was shot in the head and died in Scottsdale earlier in the day.

Sgt. Ben Hoster with the Scottsdale Police Department said Brayer, who was off duty, was killed after an altercation with 21-year-old Hezron Parks from Belize.

Parks turned himself in to police in the afternoon after seeing reports and vehicle descriptions on local media channels. He was being held on second-degree murder charges.

Bail was set at $300,000.

“It’s a sad day for the city of Tempe,” Mayor Mark Mitchell told KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Arizona’s Morning News on Monday.

Brayer was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Brayer, who had served in the Marines, was shot about 2:30 a.m. in the area of Stetson Drive and Civic Center Plaza.

Hoster said Brayer had been riding on the back of a golf cart when Parks nearly rear-ended the cart several times with his red Scion coupe. 

Brayer then exited the cart, approached Parks and was shot in the head.

Parks told police that he felt threatened after Brayer approached the car, which is why he allegedly shot him. He also believed the gun was unloaded when he pulled the trigger as he does not usually keep the weapon loaded.

Parks fled the scene eastbound on Stetson Drive then southbound on 75th Street, striking other vehicles in the process.

Brayer was, Mitchell said, “an extraordinary individual.”

He was instrumental in launching a telemedicine program with the Phoenix VA for Tempe veterans.

The program started in January 2016 and included home visits from a medical professional.

“He lived life to the fullest,” Mitchell said.

KTAR News’ Martha Maurer contributed to this report.

Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit

Arizona's Morning News

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories

Related Links