Northern Arizona highway closing for winter, expected to reopen in May
PHOENIX — A highway in northern Arizona near the Grand Canyon will be closed for the winter early next week and will likely not reopen until sometime in May.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said State Route 67 between Jacob Lake and the North Rim would be closed Tuesday.
The agency does not clear snow from the road because visitor accommodations on the North Rim — including the visitors center — are closed for the winter as well.
The planned closure will come as Arizona is in the midst of a dry spell. A majority of the state has yet to receive any significant snowfall.
- Arizona man becomes 20th person sentenced in telemarketing scheme
- Parts of northern Arizona forest to close this summer to prevent wildfires
- Arizona appeal court dismisses opposite-sex bias claim
- Trust in self-driving vehicles falls after accidents like ones in Arizona
- Phoenix forum empowers local women with presentations, discussion