Northern Arizona highway closing for winter, expected to reopen in May
PHOENIX — A highway in northern Arizona near the Grand Canyon will be closed for the winter early next week and will likely not reopen until sometime in May.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said State Route 67 between Jacob Lake and the North Rim would be closed Tuesday.
The agency does not clear snow from the road because visitor accommodations on the North Rim — including the visitors center — are closed for the winter as well.
The planned closure will come as Arizona is in the midst of a dry spell. A majority of the state has yet to receive any significant snowfall.
- Man fatally shot by officer at Scottsdale Fashion Square
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona stories from President’s Day weekend
- Mark Kelly calls for gun control legislation after Florida shooting
- Meghan McCain shares photo of Sen. John McCain at Arizona home
- Storm expected to slam Arizona high country with strong wind