Brush fire causes 15 miles of backup on I-17 SB near Sunset Point
PHOENIX — A brush fire caused 15 miles of backup on the Interstate 17 southbound Saturday, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
The “extensive backups” occurred near Sunset Point at milepost 249 at the Bumble Bee exit.
The backups were first reported by ADOT at four miles around 1:30 p.m. and then extended to seven miles at 3:30 p.m. By 4 p.m., ADOT reported the backup had grown to 10 miles. An hour later, the backup increased to 15 miles.
Only one lane was open in the area during the backup. At 6 p.m., all lanes were made open.
ADOT recommends drivers to taking an alternate route, such as State Route 260 through Camp Verde to State Route 87 through Payson.
- Campus museum honors Colangelo, ‘godfather’ of Phoenix pro sports
- Tempe introduces program to give jobs, living assistance to homeless
- Frontier Airlines to start offering flights between Phoenix, Orlando
- Suspect, officer injured in Phoenix shooting, police say
- Woman rescued from Camelback Mountain after getting lost on trail