Take a deep breath and realize the awesomeness, “Star Wars” fans: The next two films in the franchise are scheduled to be released in about a six-month span.
It was announced Tuesday that an as-of-yet untitled standalone film focusing on the past of Han Solo would be released May 25, 2018, whereas the next film in the well-known series, “The Last Jedi,” is scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 17 of this year.
Much has been made of the Han Solo film, as he is one of the best-known characters in the “Star Wars” universe. The film also boasts a star-studded cast — Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Donald Glover have all signed on as part of the movie, while Alden Ehrenreich will portray the famed smuggler.
But there was more than just a release date in Tuesday’s announcement. It was also revealed that shooting began at London’s Pinewood Studios and that other well-known “Star Wars” characters, such as Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca, would appear in the movie.
The studio released a photo of the cast on Tuesday as well.
The plot of the Han Solo movie is relatively unknown, but it will be its own movie — separate from the sequential films — as was last year’s “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”
- Video goes behind the scenes of ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’
- Disney releases new photos of ‘Star Wars’ area at Disneyland
- Ron Howard to step in as director for Han Solo ‘Star Wars’ film
- Coroner: Cocaine among drugs found in Carrie Fisher’s system
- Happy 40th anniversary, ‘Star Wars’! 5 great scenes from the original