Phoenix man suffers medical issue during arrest, dies
PHOENIX — A Phoenix man who suffered a medical issue during his arrest Wednesday morning died shortly after in a hospital, authorities said.
The Phoenix Police Department said the 33-year-old man, who has not been identified, was arrested at the Maryvale Community Center near 51st Avenue and Indian School Road after allegedly assaulting an employee.
Police said the man fought with officers during the arrest and continued to act violently after being placed in handcuffs.
After he was arrested, the man showed signs of medical distress.
The cause of death is under investigation.
- Phoenix police: Officer shoots, wounds man who pointed gun
- Phoenix celebrates Chinese New Year with weekend-long festival
- Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
- Scottsdale’s Beat the Heat race to return in June after five-year hiatus
- Phoenix high school student arrested for bringing loaded gun on campus