PHOENIX — The first one was so much fun that Motel 6 has decided to sponsor the Cactus Bowl again.
The game, which pits teams from the Pac 12 and Big 12 conferences against one another, will be played Dec. 27 at Chase Field in Phoenix.
The motel chain picked up title sponsorship last year. It will be the second of three straight postseasons the game will be played at the downtown home of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
The stadium isn’t a stranger to bowl games. From 2000-2005 the game was the Insight.com Bowl and played at then-Bank One Ballpark. By 2006, the game was moved to Arizona State University’s Sun Devil Stadium.
Renovations to the stadium sent the game back to the baseball facility.
The bowl game will return to ASU’s stadium in 2018.
Last season’s game featured Arizona State and West Virginia in a high-scoring match-up. West Virginia won, 43-42. The teams combined for 1,196 yards of offense.
Only four college bowl games are played in major-league baseball stadiums: Miami Beach Bowl held at Marlins Park, the St. Petersburg Bowl, played at Tropicana Field (both in Florida) and the Pinstripe Bowl held at Yankee Stadium in New York.
Tickets to the Cactus Bowl will go on sale Sept. 20.
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona stories from President’s Day weekend
- Mark Kelly calls for gun control legislation after Florida shooting
- Meghan McCain shares photo of Sen. John McCain at Arizona home
- Storm expected to slam Arizona high country with strong wind
- Arizona landmarks make list of must-see attractions in North America