Many Arizona residents love the territorial style of home building that helps keep the spirit of the old Southwest alive.
Most of them don’t have real adobe bricks for their walls, but they often have Southwestern-style flat roofs surrounded by parapet walls.
If you have a flat roof, you probably already know that it requires tender loving care and maintenance. If you’ve been experiencing and patching leaks, it may be time to redo your roof, particularly if it’s an older built-up roof.
Here are the options:
1. Built-up roofs: Built-up roofs are less expensive. Roofers put down layers of rolled asphalt with hot tar between layers and more tar used to make the layers stick to the deck underneath.
The sheets of roofing membrane also have sealing done on seams and vents and around pipes sticking out of the roof. This type of roof is called a built-up roof.
2. Foam: Think about having a foam coating instead. Foam can cost 10 percent more but provides better insulation for your home so your power bills could drop.
Foam covers the roof completely with no seams or joints to split and create leaks. It’s lightweight and long-lasting.
It does have to be inspected every five to seven years to be sure that the elastomeric covering on top is not wearing thin. If that covering wears off, the foam may “sunburn” and need complete replacement.
Birds do peck holes in the foam that can cause leaks if not resealed quickly.
3. PVC: This is single-ply roofing sometimes sold under the brand names Duralast or IB. This type of roofing can cost 20 to 30 percent more than foam and takes a week to install. It lasts longer than foam and comes in various colors.
When you recover your flat roof, you also want all those cracks replastered in the stucco parapets that surround the roof. Then repaint the parapets and maybe you should even repaint the whole house.
You can search by your zip code to find a trustworthy Rosie-Certified roofers here.
For more DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January
- Beat the summer heat: 10 reasons to consider new windows
- Six quick, low-cost home project ideas to tackle over Memorial Day weekend
- Four pros and cons of a mini-split air-conditioning unit
- Seven outside-of-the-box ideas for what to get mom for Mother’s Day
- Questions to ask when getting your pool ready for Arizona summers