A flight headed to Phoenix reportedly had to return to Houston due to the record-breaking heat according to ABC 13 in Houston.
The United flight operated by Mesa Airlines was reportedly minutes away from Sky Harbor Airport before being sent back.
ABC 13 had a statement from the company on the flight.
“United Express flight 6181 operated by Mesa Airlines, returned to Houston due to weather in Phoenix. Phoenix passengers will be accommodated on an extra flight that has been added for tomorrow morning.”
On Sunday, a new record high temperature was set in Phoenix at 118 degrees.
The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning Sunday through Wednesday with highs projected around 118 on Sunday and Monday.
- Six haunted spots to grab a Halloween bite in the Phoenix area
- Phoenix among US cities that have changed the most in past decade
- Main Street Minute: Breakfast chain opens 2nd Phoenix spot
- Three cities in Arizona earn top ranks for advancing LGBT rights
- Off Central: Guitar-making school puts Phoenix on musical maps