PHOENIX — Despite being known for legendary scenery, a popular Arizona getaway was named one of the best swimming destinations for the summer.
According to a list compiled by the Travel Channel, Arizona’s Slide Rock in Sedona was considered one the top 10 swimming holes in the country.
Slide Rock was described in a press release as a “natural water park like no other.”
The slide part of Slide Rock is about 80 feet long with a 7 percent incline that drops off into a pool that looks out over 40-foot cliff.
“Slide Rock has just been a treasure for us, we love it and to get the national recognition is wonderful,” Sue Black, executive director for Arizona State Parks, said.
Other popular swimming holes on the list were Opal Pool in Oregon, Seven Teacups in California and Waioka Pond in Hawaii.
The list was created for a new Travel Channel show, “Top Secret Swimming Holes,” scheduled to premiere Sunday.
KTAR’s Ashley Flood contributed to this report.
- Arizona sun may spur summer SAD, a rare, lonely depression
- Sedona man gets 120-year sentence for child pornography
- Travel magazine picks Sedona spot as one of best destination spas in US
- The agony and ecstasy of traveling with small children
- Live blog: Temperatures continue to drop in Phoenix but 100-plus stays