Well folks, it’s June! The heat is starting to climb and the beginning of monsoon season is just around the corner.
For our on-going “Rosie-Do” list of home maintenance series, we want to cover a few items for these next hot months:
Prepare your yard for the long, hot summer
June is when the mercury in your thermometer really starts to climb. It’s a tough month for any new, young plants in your yard.
Keep them well-watered and watch them carefully to ensure their survival. Mulch around all plants, especially roses, fruit trees and flower and vegetable gardens.
Protect your citrus
Make sure all the trunks of citrus and young trees are protected from exposure to the sun by covering them with a mixture of white latex paint diluted 50-50 with water. Or you can use Go Natural, a powdered colorant developed from the natural pigment of citrus trees.
Let the grass grow a bit
Go ahead and allow your grass to grow to 2.5 to 3 inches in length, rather than cutting down. The additional length helps shade and cool the ground and you’ll decrease your water use.
How’s your irrigation?
Check your drip system every other day to see if any irrigation parts are popping out now that heat is making hoses softer and weaker.
Your trees may be hurting
Water your trees deeply once a week as the weather heats up, particularly if no storms are in the forecast.
June 15 is the start of monsoon season
But there’s still time to have a trusted roofing company check your roof before the haboobs and storms arrive. If you’ve had a leak or two in the recent past, don’t ignore it. If you still have a flat, old-fashioned tar paper roof, replace it with foam.
Check your windows as well and clean out the weep holes in the tracks so that water can drain outdoors instead of inside.
Check for any holes or cracks inside or outside the house, especially around windows and doors
You can fix these gaps yourself with the help of a low-cost caulk gun. Start by cleaning and drying the area you want to caulk, then scrape away loose stucco, old caulk, paint and dirt.
Caulk between the window frame and the stucco or siding on the exterior and at the joint between the frame and the drywall indoors.
Father’s Day is coming soon
It’s June 19, so don’t wait until the day before to think about gifts. Here are my favorite recipes for a “Father’s Day Feast.”
Check your A/C filters, again
We can’t say this enough. When our A/C units are running more, you need to make sure you are checking and changing your A/C filters regularly for optimal efficiency. Here’s a related video on this topic.
For more DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January