Suspicious packages sent to former Vice President Biden, Robert De Niro
Former Vice President Joe Biden and Oscar-winning actor Robert De Niro were the latest to apparently be targeted with suspicious packages sent in the mail.
(AP File Photo)
(AP File Photo)
Former Vice President Joe Biden and Oscar-winning actor Robert De Niro were the latest to apparently be targeted with suspicious packages sent in the mail, it was announced Thursday.
Two have been sent to Biden, both intercepted at Delaware facilities. Security at De Niro’s New York movie production company found the package addressed to him around 5 a.m. Eastern time.
Former President Barack Obama and two-time presidential candidate Hillary Clinton were mailed explosive devices disguised as packages on Wednesday.
Ten explosive devices have been sent to high-profile newsmakers, including a news network, since late Tuesday. All the intended recipients are Democrats.
Those packages contained pipe bombs packed with shards of glass. The devices were made from PVC pipe and covered with black tape.
The #FBI has confirmed three additional packages, similar in appearance to the others – one in New York addressed to Robert DeNiro, and two in Delaware addressed to former Vice President Joseph Biden.
— FBI (@FBI) October 25, 2018
BREAKING: AP source: Package intercepted in Delaware mail facility, addressed to Joe Biden, similar to those containing bombs.
— The Associated Press (@AP) October 25, 2018
DEVELOPING: Ninth suspicious package discovered early Thursday morning in New York’s Tribeca neighborhood, @ABC News confirms.
It was addressed to Robert De Niro. https://t.co/HlJLT3kieB
— ABC News (@ABC) October 25, 2018
Neither the Clintons nor the Obamas received the packages, which were intended for delivery to their homes — the Clintons in Chappaqua, New York, and the Obamas in Washington.
None had been at risk of receiving them because of screening procedures, the Secret Service said.
A bomb squad removed another device from CNN’s New York headquarters Wednesday, which was evacuated. The package was addressed to former CIA Director John Brennan.
Earlier in the week, a pipe bomb was left in the mail box of billionaire philanthropist George Soros’ New York home. Soros has donated extensively to progressive and liberal groups and candidates.
More were sent to frequent Trump critics Rep. Maxine Waters, D-California and former Attorney General Eric Holder. His ended up at the Florida office of Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who was listed as the return address.
“The bomb techs will know … that (bomb maker is) sophisticated or unsophisticated,” former FBI agent Brad Garrett told KTAR 92.3 FM Arizona’s Morning News.
“Let’s say for example, that maybe these bombs aren’t operational. That doesn’t mean he can’t have bombs that are operational.”
Anyone with infromation on the source of the devices and packages is encouraged to call the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.




Comments
0 Comments