ADVERTISEMENT

ARIZONA NEWS

Weekend wrap-up: Here are the biggest Arizona stories from Feb. 12-14

From two freeway projects underway in Phoenix to police seeking four men accused of six armed robberies, here are the biggest stories of the weekend.

(Flickr Photo/Arizona Department of Transportation)...

(Flickr Photo/Arizona Department of Transportation)

(Flickr Photo/Arizona Department of Transportation)

PHOENIX — Construction crews are working on two freeway projects in east Phoenix, police are seeking four men accused of six armed robberies in metro Phoenix late last year and Democratic U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona doesn’t think a provision to raise the federal minimum wage belongs in the next COVID relief package.

Here are some of the biggest stories that headlined the Arizona news cycle over the weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Freeway projects in Mesa, Gilbert will extend 1 road, add ramps to Loop 202

Construction crews are working on two freeway projects in the suburbs east of Phoenix amounting to nearly $100 million, each expected to be finished in 2022.

The Arizona Department of Transportation said Thursday a $77 million project will extend State Route 24 east, while $21.7 million is going into a new interchange on Loop 202 Santan Freeway at Lindsay Road.

The extension to Gateway Freeway east of Ellsworth Road is scheduled to open by late next year.

The smaller project on Loop 202 will add on- and off-ramps to link up with Lindsay Road and a westbound frontage thoroughfare between the street and Gilbert Road.


Authorities seeking ‘Jeepers Bandits’ accused in 6 metro Phoenix robberies

Authorities are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying four men accused of six armed robberies in metro Phoenix in the span of a week late last year.

The “Jeepers Bandits” robbed smoke shops and a Cold Stone Creamery in Phoenix and Glendale between Nov. 27 and Dec. 4, according to a press release from the FBI.

The bandits got their nicknames because their appearances are similar to Shaggy Rogers from Scooby-Doo, who frequently said “jeepers.”

The suspects enter the businesses posing as customers, wait for other customers to leave, pull out guns and demand employees place money in their bags, according to the FBI.

No one has been injured during the robberies.


Sen. Sinema opposes including $15 minimum wage in COVID relief plan

Democratic U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona doesn’t think a provision to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 belongs in the next COVID relief package.

“What’s important is whether or not it’s directly related to short-term COVID relief. And if it’s not, then I am not going to support it in this legislation,” Sinema told Politico in a recent phone interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The minimum wage provision is not appropriate for the reconciliation process. It is not a budget item. And it shouldn’t be in there.”

Her comments were posted Friday in a story with the headline: “The most influential Democrat you never hear from.”

It remains to be seen whether the wage increase will remain in President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief plan.


1 dead, another critically injured in shooting at Desert Sky Mall in Phoenix

One person is dead and another has life-threatening injuries after a shooting at Desert Sky Mall in Phoenix on Sunday afternoon, according to authorities.

Phoenix police responded to the mall near 75th Avenue and Thomas Road just before 12:45 p.m. and found two men with gunshot wounds.

The preliminary investigation indicates there was an argument between a customer and an employee at a kiosk inside the mall, according to authorities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police say the argument escalated and both men armed themselves and exchanged gunfire. The customer was shot and taken to the hospital along with another person who was shot in the incident while the employee had minor injuries and stayed on the scene, according to authorities.


Arizona Sens. Sinema, Kelly voted to convict Trump before acquittal

Arizona’s two Democratic U.S. Senators Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly on Saturday voted to convict Donald Trump of inciting the horrific attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 before the former president was eventually acquitted of the charge.

While the two senators were part of the 57 who said Trump was guilty of the claim, 67 votes were required to equal the two-thirds needed to convict and impeach the former president.

The two U.S. senators from Arizona released statements on their decision to convict Trump after House prosecutors and Trump’s defense lawyers wrapped up their closing arguments before the final vote got underway.

KTAR.com is the online home of KTAR News on 92.3 FM, the Voice of Arizona. We're your source for breaking news, traffic, weather and the stories that matter to you.

Comments

0 Comments