ADVERTISEMENT

ARIZONA NEWS

Firefighters increase containment of Central Fire in New River to 36%

The Central Fire in New River was 36% contained and had consumed 4,499 acres as of Wednesday afternoon, according to authorities.

(Twitter Photo/@azstateforestry)...

(Twitter Photo/@azstateforestry)

(Twitter Photo/@azstateforestry)

PHOENIX – The Central Fire in New River was 36% contained as of Wednesday afternoon, according to authorities.

The blaze had not consumed any additional acreage from the previous day.

On Tuesday morning, the human-caused brush fire burning north of Phoenix had burned 4,499 acres and was 23% contained, authorities said.

There are currently 184 personnel working to contain the blaze, including 3 Type 1 crews, 4 Type 2 crews, 4 fire engines and 1 dozer, according to Southwest Area Management Team #1.

ADVERTISEMENT

The fire sparked on Saturday around noon near Central Avenue and Mingus Road just east of Interstate 17.

Crews utilized suppression tactics and air resources are dropping both water and fire retardant on the blaze.

Crews around the state are also battling larger fires – the Bush Fire, Bighorn Fire, Mangum Fire and Bringham Fire.

Wildfires in Arizona have burned more than 300,000 combined acres this wildfire season.

Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management officials said they’re concerned with the large number of fires that have happened in the state so far this year.

KTAR News 92.3FM’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.

KTAR.com is the online home of KTAR News on 92.3 FM, the Voice of Arizona. We're your source for breaking news, traffic, weather and the stories that matter to you.

Comments

0 Comments