During the pre-Civil War United States, a free black man is kidnapped and sold into slavery. For 12, years he endures abuse and some hard-found kindness while he tries to let his family know what happened to him. In his last year, he encounters a Canadian man who changes the course of his life.
I’ll say it now: This movie is going to be a huge award winner if not movie of the year. The movie is based on a true story and it is hard to watch at times, but made me look at slavery differently.
It is the must-see movie of the year.
- Intense third act struggles to save clunky hero tale ‘The 15:17 to Paris’
- Witty ‘Peter Rabbit’ feels a little too thin to satisfy the kids
- This 90-second video about a blue marble will capture your attention
- YouTube animator debuts yearlong ‘pop culture typography’ project
- Kindergarten class breaks into ‘Happy Birthday’ when chick hatches