Temperatures have definitely heated up in the Valley, which means it’s summertime. Summertime is also the 100 deadliest days for teens.
With summer comes more teen drivers on the road that are distracted by the radio, food, and texting. There is something else that can distract teens even more, passengers.
This is something that is seldom the subject of the parental warnings shouted at the teens as they walk out the door with the car keys, yet it should be. Passengers increase the risk of teen crashes by almost half.
I am glad to report that Arizona joined the majority of states that limit who can be in the car with a brand new teen driver and when that driver can be on the road.
So parents, this is a rule you do not have to make, Arizona has done it for you, all you need to do is reiterate it and help enforce it. Have the conversation with your teen about passengers before it is too late.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey signs bill banning teen drivers from using cellphones
- Legally Speaking: What if Aaron Hernandez lived, killed and died in Arizona?
- Arizona marks 741 car crashes caused by distracted driving in 2017
- Legally Speaking: It’s time to split the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Legally Speaking: Lawsuit could change how downtown Phoenix is developed