KTAR’s Cooper Rummell and I had the opportunity to hit the Pacific waters with the Sea Samurai, Kevin Nakata.
Kevin had the brand spankin’ new Hobie kayaks dialed in and we quickly hit the water. We were going to fish with live bait, so we spent a small portion of the morning catching the bait fish.
Rough conditions didn’t stop the Sea Samurai. We were fishing hard all morning.
Then, the call came in. A call that EVERY fisherman wants to get. “Big fish are hitting near you…get there now! Kevin instructed us to reel in the lines and get moving!”
We were amazed to watch Kevin changing our rigs while propelling his Hobie like the wind. That’s the beauty of Hobie’s Mirage Drive system — hands free to do what you need to do.
We get to the new spot and Cooper hooks up right away. Kevin helped him make quick work of a trophy halibut. We stayed in that area and it didn’t take much time at all for me to hook up with a halibut of my own.
This is when the magic happened: double hookup! I was about to land my fish when a trophy sea bass started to make Cooper’s reel SCREAM.
Bottom line, trip of a lifetime.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Monuments include sites in the West and undersea mountains
- Jurors sent home, defense wants mistrial in Northern Arizona University shooting case
- It’s nice to see the Arizona Legislature passing common sense gun laws
- Former city councilman sworn in at Arizona House of Representatives
- Main Street Minute: National recruiters set up shop at Phoenix career fair