NEW YORK (AP) — Fallout from outspoken Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s remarks about immigrants from Mexico continued to dog him Tuesday as a TV company backed by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim said it was scrapping a project in development with him and Mexico announced it won’t be sending a contestant to the Miss Universe contest, which he partly owns.
Meanwhile, the backlash threatened to extend beyond Trump’s media interests.
Ora TV became the latest company to cut ties with Trump over remarks he made in his recent presidential campaign kickoff speech, when he declared that some Mexican immigrants bring drugs and crime to the U.S. and are rapists.
The company did not give any details about the project it had been developing with Trump. Slim holds a majority interest in Ora TV, which produces shows including “Larry King Now” and “Off the Grid with Jesse Ventura.”
And a day after Televisa, the Mexican TV network that airs Miss Universe, said there would be no telecast for the next contest, Miss Mexico pageant director Lupita Jones said Mexico would boycott Miss Universe. She said Trump damaged the pageant and its tradition of convening countries for an event that showcases “friendship, unity and breaking down cultural barriers.”
NBC and Spanish-language network Univision previously said they would not air the Miss USA or Miss Universe pageants.
The Miss USA pageant, set to take place July 12 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, also lost both its co-hosts Tuesday, with “Dancing with the Stars'” Cheryl Burke and MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts bowing out. The Miss USA pageant had no specifics on who might host in their place but said the proceedings would be live-streamed on its website.
Last week, the hosts of the Univision simulcast, Roselyn
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.