Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. WHAT HELP IRAQ IS GETTING FROM OBAMA
The U.S. will deploy up to 450 more American troops to advise and assist Iraqi forces battling the Islamic State militants.
2. POPE CRACKING DOWN ON BISHOPS WHO COVER UP FOR ABUSIVE PRIESTS
A new tribunal inside the Vatican will hear the cases of bishops accused of failing to protect their flock.
3. WHO’S FACING DIFFICULT RETURN TO PUBLIC LIFE
The vice president’s office is essentially in a holding pattern as Biden continues to mourn his 46-year-old son.
4. GERMANS LINE STREETS AS HEARSES BRING HOME STUDENTS KILLED IN ALPS PLANE CRASH
The slow-moving convoy is accompanied by a police motorcade and a bus carrying the high schoolers’ families.
5. LAWYER DEFENDS TEXAS COP SEEN IN POOL PARTY VIDEO
The policeman had answered back-to-back suicide calls before he responded to a report of a fight at the party, where “he allowed his emotions to get the better of him,” the attorney says.
6. US CITIZEN DIES FIGHTING IN SYRIA
Keith Broomfield, killed June 3, is likely the first American to die fighting alongside Kurdish forces battling the Islamic State group.
7. WHY AMERICANS ARE GETTING NEW CREDIT CARDS
U.S. banks are replacing tens of millions of old magnetic strip credit and debit cards with new cards equipped with computer chips that store account data more securely.
8. RESEARCHERS: RAPE PREVENTION TRAINING WORKS
A program that taught college women ways to prevent sexual assault cut in half the chances they would be raped over the next year, a Canadian study finds.
9. GWEN STEFANI RETURNING AS COACH OF ‘THE VOICE’
After a season away from the show, the pop singer will be back next season, replacing Christina Aguilera.
10. GOLDEN STATE FANS’ REASON FOR HOPE
The Warriors trail Cleveland 2-1 in the NBA Finals. But they were in the same hole against Memphis in the conference semis — then didn’t lose another game in the series.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.